Worlds & Time

Monday, December 12, 2005

Catcher in the Rye

I just finished Catcher in the Rye. I never had to read it in high school. That may or may not have been a good thing.

A few thoughts:

Buddhism seems so much clearer to me. That whole "no self" thing makes so much more sense.

I knew a woman once, let's call her "Jo." Jo was a meth head that had a lobodomy after she overdosed once, and she was missing her superego. Her self control was just gone. There was no way that she prevent herself from saying something that she was thinking. There was no way that she could deny herself something that she wanted.

Jo reminds me of the way that Catcher in the Rye is written.

If I knew Holden Caufield, say in the first chapters when he's at school, I'd probably take a bat to him. Well, maybe not a bat, but I'd probably pound him as hard as I could. Neither of us is in great shape, so it's not like I'd be taking on a football player. I think it'd probably be good for both of us.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home