Worlds & Time

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Travels

My brother's in La Paz, Bolivia, which historically is not as serene as the name implies. He's apparently sleeping down the street from the witches' market and asked if anyone needed anything. I mentioned that if he finds a potion of world domination below cost, he should snap it up and I'll pay him back for it.

I'm in the travelogue section of the book that I'm writing, and I came to a dead stop a few days back. I'm not particularly fond of travel scenes, and the whole book is driven by the travel that the main characters do, so suddenly its like I've used up every ounce of travel narrative that I have in me. I really want to just slip into sci-fi ship mode and imagine them teleporting from place to place except that I know that teleportation would absolutely ruin most of the plot of my book.

You know, most of the universe is a pretty boring place. There are these vast voids, not just between planets but between stars, nebulae, and galaxies. It's hard to imagine just the solid vastness involved in something like a galaxy, but for a moment try to imagine the gigantic emptiness between galaxy filaments.

So it feels really annoying that there are so many great places to visit here on Earth that I'm not getting to visit/live in. All I want to do at the moment is get out of NM and I can't. Arg.

Currently, the list of places that I want to visit (in no particular order) is:

  • New York (to visit with Elliot, Jay, Jeremy, and possibly to connect with some of my humanist online friends)


  • Washington D.C. (to see Reagan, Karen, and maybe even drop in on my old roommate Eric)


  • San Francisco (check in on Matt and Iggy, and maybe even go to the Castro and a real gay bar)



  • England (Travel up through the northern country to see how beautiful it is, and spend some time near London. I would have loved to have done that while Jeff and Steph are there, or even Jeremy, but that hasn't happened. They've got cute boys in Britain too.)



  • Ireland (The magic country. It's going to come up in my books sooner or later, and I'd like to see it so that I'm not spouting completely random things)


  • India (Now that's an exotic place to go, and it's a place that I've wanted to see for years. I'd love to visit the Taj Mahal, the Blue City, and all sorts of other temples all throughout India)


  • Australia (Sydney, specifically. I've got some friends in the area that I could stay with for a few days, and I'd love to see the gold coast beaches)



  • Miami and Key West (and maybe Fort Lauderdale as well. I didn't get to see as much of the area, and have as much fun as I would have liked).




Yeah, all these pictures are making me restless.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:



<< Home