Worlds & Time

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It's Over

Finally.

I've used up the backlog of posts sitting around in Blogger.

Thus, content will now be posted as it is created. That annoying splash post that I've been using to link to those backdated posts is now gone. The few posts that I haven't finished with in the system will get bumped into the future, just like normal. On this most auspicious of occasions, I have some thoughts on completely unrelated topics:

The reason that I think that this is the Golden Age of science fiction and fantasy is contained in this video containing a talk by Clay Shirky. That cognitive surplus is one of the things that is allowing people to write and publish and distribute thousands good works in much higher volume than I think was possible in the mid 20th century.

I suspect, and let's see if history bears me out on this, that more good fiction with riveting plots, interesting characters, and splendid settings will be produced in the next ten years than was produced in the years between 1949 and 1989.

True, I doubt that we're going to see as many huge massive, world shattering hits like The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter, but I think we're also going to see lots of minor hits. Those minor hits will be books that are life changing for some people, and they'll be getting better, faster, and more reliable access to them.

Also: the computers here at work are down. Completely maldo. Every system necessary to the function of a hotel is either completely down or so slow that it might as well be completely down.

Except for the internet of course.

Uhg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home