Worlds & Time

Monday, May 11, 2009

Last One to the Train Wreck

I've got a job here in Boston and I'm not sure how well it's going. Most of the people that I work with are polite, nice people put in a bad situation by a company that cares nothing for them.

It's a lot like some of the other hotels that I've worked for in my life and so I've been having issues with one of my bosses in particular. I recognize that I'm not perfect but I have enough experience now to recognize a bad situation when I'm walking into it.

The focus on the company seems to be on the employee's interaction with the guest rather than technical training. Service, in the hospitality industry, is important. Especially if you want to maintain a high quality hotel.

But you can't ignore technical training. Computer skills at the desk are vitally important to the job. You need to have a working understanding of the hotel layout, the answers to common questions and know what you can do to resolve a problem as well.

This hotel took days to train me in any of that. I didn't even have a chance to see a guest room until my fourth day and only because I actively tagged along with a manager.

They're not particularly excited about me doing the job that the hired me to do, either. I still haven't started training for that job. Instead, I'm training for positions that I won't do and don't challenge me.

But it is a job.

Otherwise, the last week has been insane. I've been working to the point of exhaustion, of course, but I've also had a birthday and met my boyfriend's mom. And I've been trying to spend time with my boyfriend. I guess I never really truly realized what a massive time commitment a boyfriend is. I've been enjoying reading on the T though. It's everything that I imagined that it could be when I moved to a big city and gave up driving. Hallelujah.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home