Worlds & Time

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Out & Around

Over the last couple of days I've been able to get out a little bit. I was hoping that I could go back to work for Christmas because I know that noone wants to work on Christmas, and most of the people that I work for are Catholic. I was hoping that I could go in for four hours so that someone could stay home.

That turned out to be overly optimistic. I couldn't get a ride, and there were some other problems.

Instead we went out to the buffet at the Eldorado, which is a big fancy hotel downtown. We did this instead of exchanging presents, becuase it's fairly expensive. It was okay, although I didn't eat nearly as much as I should have. Everything was so rich that I just couldn't pack it away. The Sea Bass with polenta just melted in my mouth. Everything else was good. For desert I had a piano sculpted out of dark chocolate, with a white chocolate keyboard and filled with custard and berries.

The problem is, I don't know if I want to be with my family. I mentioned that I like the family idea of the holiday, but my mother has pulled away from me, more than I've pulled away from here, and my little brother is just gone. If I wasn't related to him, I wouldn't have any reason to talk to him at all.

It's a bitter question, and I don't know the answer. That tends to make me sort of angry and defensive, and I tend to take it out on my family. When I'm on my own, when I'm with friends, I almost never get like that, maybe because I know that at least it's my choices that have brought me there.

I met Steve and Andrea this week after Christmas. I've known Steve for a fairly goo amount of time online. More than a year probably, and he's been a moderater with me for a couple of months. They were nice enough to drive me around, and offered me the front seat of their truck so I didn't have to climb around in the back of their truck.

This is the first time that I've had a chance to actually play tourguide for actual Catholics, which is sort of cool because Santa Fe is fairly religious, and a couple of the cool sites to see are churches.

So, they came by on Tuesday, and then today as well. We spent more time at my work than we should have, in retrospect. Of course, none of my co-workers recognized me. I could pass them and wave and they still wouldn't know that it was me. The strangest thing is that some random person in a shop that's seen me twice recognizes me but my co-workers didn't.

We should have hit up more of the museums, and probably done Canyon Rd. as well. If you're going to spend two days in Santa Fe, spending some time on Canyon Rd. is a good idea. Instead we hit a sale at the Nambé Factory.

On their way out of town today they dropped me off so that I could get fitted for a tux for Elliot's wedding, so now I'm all set for that.

It's so nice to be getting out a little bit, even though I'm exhausted afterward.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home