Worlds & Time

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Thunder & Lightning

I'm going to miss the thunderstorms here. I can see the sky for forty miles or more behind my house. It's getting to be summer again, and I forgot how breathtaking the sky here is.

Yeah, they're destroying the skyline behind my house, but the sky is something they can't touch . . . for now.

I don't know why, but the area behind my house is the perfect breeding ground for thunderstorms. They boil up, filling the Southern sky with dark clouds, and then they sit there, throwing out bolt after bolt of electricity. Sometimes they look like they strike the ground, most of the time they don't. They flicker across miles and miles of sky from one point to another, writhing in white light over miles.

At night it's especially impressive because as the bolts flash they peel back layers of clouds revealing the towering structures floating in the sky. The special effects nebulae from Star Trek must have been inspired by the NM sky and they don't come close to the beauty that you can see revealed by the lightning.

Years ago, there was a night when my mom woke me up, got me a blanket, and we went out to the back porch and watched the thunderstorms. It usually doesn't rain here when the thunderstorms are going on so we sat warm and dry and watched the most amazing show from the back porch.

It's raining right now. It's been a wet winter and I think it's been a wet summer as well. This is going to be one of those summers where the fields have that rare tinge of green to them. Usually they're just brown and yellow but once every ten years or so we have a wet summer and the flowers finally bloom like crazy.

Another thing: New Mexico doesn't rot. When I lived out East, there was this smell of something that has been wet for weeks. Finally the fungus moves in and whatever it is, even machines or living plants, begins to smell like garbage.

New Mexico is too dry. Whenever it rains, the ground is so thirsty that it just slurps up whatever water it can touch. So whenever it rains, you get that delicious ozone smell of rain. If I could bottle that, I'd make a fortune.

It's past midnight here. My birthday is in four days. That's so odd. It feels like it was just a couple of months ago. I don't have anything to do. Last year I met a boy and we went out for drinks on my birthday. He was a jerk, but I think I'd like to do something like that again. Maybe I'll drag Stephanie out for drinks or something. I could always get a beautiful hotel room and spend the night in ABQ, right? It would have to be Saturday, because my birthday's on Sunday.

Hmmm. . . that's an idea.

The Lightning is still going, but it's further away than it was when I started this. The noise is a slow rumbling way off in the distance instead of the sharp crack of sound nearby.

I hope tonight I can go to sleep with the noise of the rain.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home