Worlds & Time

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Omelas

Are you familiar with Omelas? It's an interesting place. I hear the architecture is something special.

If you aren't familiar with Omelas, you should be. Read the short story by Ursula Le Guin here:

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

I happen to think that it's one of the most brilliant short stories ever written. I've cried several times after reading it and then coming back to it later. I can't describe how powerful a short story without characters or a plot can be, but this is one of the most moving pieces of writing that I've ever read.

I've been obsessing over Omelas recently in regards to one of the websites that I belong to, CF. There's no child at CF, but that doesn't mean that the parallels, the aspiring perfect society with deep underlying flaws aren't comparable.

I've been thinking about it a lot. There are those that live in Omelas, those that walk away from Omelas, and there is a third group: those that stay and try to rise in society to the point where they can open the door and release him.

Only those that walk away are without blame. They're stronger than I am. I would be in the third group, if I was a person. I'm not. I'm a non person. Nothing more than a watcher.

That isn't depression talking. That's an accurate description of my place at CF. It's an odd place.

I know there wasn't a Lex and Lia this week. Sorry, I need to take a break for a week, but I promise that it will be back next week. I'm also going through a dry patch with other blog posts, so I wanted to apologize for that as well.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home