Worlds & Time

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

When Gay Streetwalkers Attack

I watched Cold Case last night. I'd never seen the show before, and I don't particularly like the format of constant flashbacks. The only reason that I watched it was that I thought the victim was kinda cute.

Well, I'm actually really glad that I saw this particular episode, entitled "One Night" because it featured something that's come up before, and that is a couple of street hustlers in love.

The first time I ran across this was in the movie "Twist" featuring Nick Stahl. For some reason, the movie tore me emotionally to shreds. It effected me so much that I wrote a poem for a class about it, which has since become one of my best received works, and can still make me upset just by reading it.

"Twist" is a tragedy. It's one of the films that led me to believe that most media representations of gay people are tragic, and I was an emotional wreck after seeing it. It's a particularly dark portrayal, as one boy pulls the other into the world of the drug addicted hustler in what might become and endless vicious circle. I personally happen to think that it's very well done.

"One Night" is different, happier. One of the boys is kidnapped by a murderer, and is buried alive, only to be rescued at the end to find his almost love waiting for him. The performances by Shiloh Fernandez and particularly by Cole Williams (who also was in North Country, which is how I found his name because Cold Case files does a miserable crediting job) were excellent and three dimensional for all of their 8 minutes total air time. It's also unusual to me, because the person that dies is the straight boy and the gay boys are together in the end.

Why do these stories resonate so strongly with me? I'm an emotional wreck afterward, although with the happy ending not as much as with the sad.

The only thing that I can think of is that I'm so alone. I can't help but to identify with the boys that have no emotional connection to anyone or anything . . . and then find love despite that.

Which is odd, because you think that someone that has never lived on the streets, who still has a family and friends, and works full time in a customer service industry where I don't service the customers would be hard pressed to identify with four boys that live on the streets.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but something about their situation just clicked with me. I can't understand it, but I can't get past it either. What does it say when four teenage prostitutes are less lonely and almost as well adjusted as I am?

Anyway, kudos to all of the actors involved.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home