Worlds & Time

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl

I'm pretty sure that I've now managed to miss the Super Bowl. I was planning on being asleep for most of it, but that didn't work out so well.

Regardless, the television hasn't been turned on. I don't remember which teams were playing, and until I go into work tonight I won't find out out. Once I'm there, I'll have to know, because people will ask me, because I'm a guy. Previously, I've thought about wearing a badge that screams "I'm gay!" on days like this, but I suspect that my bosses won't take that well.

It's not a gay thing, I don't think, this dislike of organized American sports. I think it's a by product of growing up gay. I'm not saying that it's like this for all gay men, but for me, being gay meant having a certain fear of interacting with guys on their turf. That fear led to separation, and separation leads to an aversion to group sports.

So, I guess that I'm just not interested now because I wasn't interested then.

And of course, I'm conveniently forgetting the geek thing at the moment. If you're an in a situation where forward momentum is stymied by an equal and opposite force, you're in a situation where the intelligent thing to do is redefine the rules of the game, if you can. Football makes no sense.

On the upside, tonight's my Friday. Working 3 days a week is cool, as long as you can live on 24 hours worth of work. My father offered me a job, but since he can't actually pay me, I'm not really sure that I want to put myself through the pain of taking it. But my last visit with him was actually really nice.

Still, I'm not used to having so much free time. For the last three and a half years I've been working somewhere around 60 hours a week. In Miami, I held down two full time jobs, and here I've been going to school full time, and then working weekends. Without cable television and a desktop computer, it's bizarre how much time I spend doing nothing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home